Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Welcome Grilled Cheese Lovers!

It's official, I am finally launching my much-talked about blog "Grilled Cheese Tour!" For those who know me, know I love grilled cheese sandwiches and well, just cheese in general. My love for them started when I was little, my family and I went to A&W (originally called the "Clawson A" in Clawson, MI) in the summers. I was a picky eater and didn't really like hot dogs or hamburgers at the time, so I always ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and chocolate milkshake. No chicken fingers for this girl. The Clawson A made a quick, classically diner-style grilled cheese that I enjoyed in the back of our car.

When I got older I noticed that when given a choice for lunch out, I couldn't go wrong with a grilled cheese sandwich. I became a regular at a little cafe in Birmingham, MI called The Loose Leaf. It was always the same, "Gertie's Grilled Cheese" (american with mozzarella), homemade applesauce, raspberry iced tea and a fresh baked cookie. I loved that sandwich so much I would try and make it last as long as possible, one slow bite at a time. It was made on some sort of special bread that tasted almost like a honey wheat or white, it gave the sandwich just a hint of sweetness. The day that place closed I was devasted. I think since then I have been on a mission to find another fantastic grilled cheese. Although nothing will beat those days I sat at The Loose Leaf and read a magazine or newspaper and munched on the best sandwich ever, I hope to discover some good alternatives.


I don't claim to be an expert or food connoiseur with high class taste so my opinions will be up for debate. I'm just here to report my findings as I search the country for great gooey grilled cheese sandwiches. If there is one on the menu, I have a hard time passing it up. Being from Royal Oak, Michigan and now living in Providence, RI most of my reviews are going to be from around these places.


The idea for the Grilled Cheese Tour began at the Woodward Avenue Brewery (aka the WAB) in Ferndale, MI after getting beers and grilled cheeses with some of my best pals, Katie and Alfred. We determined a scoring system from one to five triangles (yucky to stellar) and among other things would comment on: cheeses used, other ingredients in the sandwich, texture of bread, and any sides that it came with. I also have added into some reviews the drink choices I decided to pair it with. I've been searching through several of my ratty old pocket-sized notebooks that I usually keep in my purse for our first official grilled cheese review and am so sad I can't find it. If it turns up I will definitely post it. The WAB has two grilled cheeses and some good beers and it's better if shared with good friends.


So here it goes. If you know of a yummy grilled cheese somewhere let me know! Let's go eat them!

********************************************************************
Hearts,
Abbey


P.S. Thanks to Stefan Blitz for making a rad header!
(check out his site-Forces of Geek!)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found this googling for the apple grilled cheese you reviewed in April... sooooo good!

I'd like to recommend the 'super triple grilled cheese' at the Crow's Nest in Kalamazoo. Get it on wheat bread (real wheat bread, with all the seeds) with the thick & spicy tomato soup for dipping and it's perfect. Here's the menu: http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory/menu.php?id=1003101

Abbey Adams said...

For some reason I just found this comment, thanks vasso for the tip. I'm putting the Crow's Nest on my list....and will alert you as soon as I do a review!

Post a Comment