Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Gibraltar Trade Center

237 N. River Rd.
Mt. Clemens, MI


Name: Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Two slice of American cheese on white bread (or wheat or rye)
Sides: Pickles and I added a bag of Better Made potato chips (a Michigan made product!)
Price: $2.25
Thoughts: A classic.  The sandwich was made diner-style on a grill alongside Italian sausages, hot dogs, peppers and onions.  Sometimes you just want a no-frills, down-to-Earth grilled cheese and this is a perfectly made one.  It's grilled just right--crispy, buttery, hot and melted with no sog, the way a diner grilled cheese should be.  The reason why I like this grilled cheese so much is because it's more than a sandwich, it's an experience.  Gibralter Trade Center is a huge warehouse (with 2 locations, in Mt. Clemens and Taylor) that only opens on the weekends with hundreds of booths-a big huge indoors (and outdoors in the summer) flea market.  The people watching alone is priceless.  I eat my grilled cheese sitting in a food court next to fake plastic "designer" purses, little Harley collectible models, cell phone covers, gold jewelry and stacks of oriental rugs.  It's a flea marketer's/Chinatown bargain shopper's paradise.  The central food court is a 360 degree stand you can get everything from chicken dinners to cotton candy and pizza slices from.  The floors are clean and the air smells like attic and french fries.  My dad and I love coming here to poke around and see what special shows they have going on in the main area (the Gun and Knife Show is always huge, Dad prefers the Computer show and I like the Holistic show.) I asked my dad why he loves coming here and he said, "The peoples watching. and the hot dogs. and the Polish sausage. Good buys and prices."  So I snack on my chips and sip from my milk carton amidst an Amish cheese stand which is set up next to a tattoo stand, next to a knock-off perfume stand....
Score: ◥◥◥◥◥ (for being the best version of a classic grilled cheese and the atmosphere)
*Bonus: Notice the "Pop" sizes sign.  Yes, it's called pop here, East Coasters.  


 

                                              


0 comments:

Post a Comment