Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Farmstead (La Laiterie)

186 Wayland Ave.
Providence, RI 02906
(also a second location at:
 225A Westminster St.
Providence, RI 02903)



Name: Cheesmongers Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Fontina, goat, gruyere, (and something else) plus "bits and pieces of other cheeses" (I had to ask, not listed so perhaps it changes?) on Seven Stars ciabatta-can have it grilled or chilled.
Sides: Lard fried potato chips (sounds gross but think homemade kettle chips) and house made pickles (sweet pickles-not for me, I only heart dill.)
Price: $8
Thoughts: Amazing!! The ciabatta is perfect because of the texture.  It holds up without getting floppy but it's not so crunchy that it scrapes up the roof of my mouth.  There is a light dusting of kosher salt on top and I also like that it is so authentic and locally made (Seven Stars is a Providence-based bakery and Farmstead offers their cheeses to many Providence area restaurants.)  They just remodeled the Farmstead on Wayland, before it was a tiny little room with 1 small deli case of cheeses connected to a very narrow little restaurant.  Now they've expanded the deli side to accommodate more cheeses, breads, olive oils, etc. and a few spots to sit with your sandwich and sip a glass of wine.  And it's still connected to it's restaurant (try the homemade mac 'n cheese if you go-melt in your mouth!!!)  
     Anyway, the goat cheese is SO very creamy and soft and tangy.  (If you despise goat cheese well then this may either change your mind or you should stay away, it dominates.) Some parts have almost a smokiness, I kept trying to see if I could guess the different kinds of cheeses I tasted, perhaps a Swiss snuck in there?  Maybe a cheddar.  Maybe not.  All of this creamy goodness is melted together and squishes with each bite.  Your hands will get greasy/buttery so make sure you bring napkins!  I loved the kettle chips and if you like sweet pickles, you'd be complete.  The "To-Go" packaging in the cardboard box makes it feel special, like a present.
Score: ◥◥◥◥◥ (My favorite Prov grilled cheese to date, gourmet-style)
*Bonus: Soft sea breezes, warm sun, ocean smell and birds---I'm enjoying my grilled cheese t0-go at India Point Park, one of my favorite spots to sit outside.  During the summer you can watch sail boat lessons, people biking, reading, walking, picnicking here.  This perfect combonation of setting and food makes each bite better than the last.  It's very filling!!  This is exactly how I pictured it when I thought of this tour stop.  I had been wanting to try the Farmstead one for a long time since, hello! it's a cheese shop!  If they couldn't make a good one, well then that's just sad.   To top it off I snuck a little wine in a coffee thermos (shhh!) and a current copy of Providence Monthly.  I feel so LOCAL! :) 



0 comments:

Post a Comment