Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Luxe Burger Bar

5 Memorial Blvd.
Providence, RI 02903



Name: D'Luxe Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Aged cheddar, havarti, imported swiss, tomato, arugula
Sides: Served with french fries (or add "My Wife's Chicken Soup" for $2.99)  I also got a (huge) margarita, though they have an extensive beer menu and hard milkshakes (I've gotten the Grasshopper before, mint and chocolate liquour.)
Price: $7.99
Thoughts: Okay, first of all let me say that I love this place.   Back to the sandwich though.  The bread is thick but very airy and light, you know, like how toast gets.  It could be hotter and the arugula is all stringy like seaweed, as one of my pals said.   I thought, hmmm maybe I don't like arugula, maybe it's just because the grilled cheese keeps getter colder.  So we passed it around and each took a bite.   The general consensus then became that something was wrong with the arugula, like it was going bad, old, smelly, bitter.  To be honest, it could have been cheesier too, they hadn't melted the slices all the way and the edges of the cheeses still had the corners so you could tell they were slices.  I don't like that. 
        
It makes me sad that I had to give this grilled cheese a somewhat poor review because I had it once before (and forgot to bring my camera or write anything down) and remembered it to be pretty good.  That was at lunch time.  Maybe dinner time got to be too busy to really make a great sandwich.  I shouldn't make excuses.  I do love it here.
       
So if you don't want to get the grilled chcese, I understand, but you should definitely visit.  You can build your own burger from a huge list of delicious ingredients.  For a while they had "Teeny Weinies," a hot dog version of sliders that were so cute, and they even have "Build Your Own Mac-n-Cheese."  It's a really fun place.
Score:  1/2
*Bonus: Team Trivia on Thursdays and gorgonzola tater tots.   All around Providence they have a company come in to different restaurants/bars and host trivia (each is a little different) and you can make your own team.  The more you have people with knowledge of all kinds of random stuff on your team, the better.  I don't want to brag but my team (the Wet Bandits) have won, twice.  Maybe once by default from other teams leaving and betting it all on the last question.  I love trivia. 
    
Also, get the gorgonzola tater tots (maybe substitute the fries.) They are so good and come in a cool little mesh basket that looks like a mini french fryer basket.  This is a long review. Whew!

*Oh and a happy birthday to Tessa, it was also a birthday party review-she was nice enough to share a skillet with a hot chocolate chip cookie topped with ice cream.  We got her a "birthday cake" shot, pairs nicely with Harry Potter legos.



    

0 comments:

Post a Comment