Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

J. Gardella's Tavern

11 Ionia St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49503



Name: The White Cheese
Ingredients: Havarti, feta, parmesan and mozzarella on grilled sourdough
Sides: A big cup of marinara sauce, homemade potato chips and a pickle.  It says you can substitute any breads for a pretzel bun for 50¢.  Hmmm, curious.
Price: $5.99 
Thoughts: OMG so delicious! Happiness!  When you pulled the two halves apart the cheeses gooed out like it was a commercial.  I tasted the salty melty lava flow of cheese and it's toasty warm.  There's big soft chunks with the bite of parmesan and feta balanced by creamy mellow mozzarella.  I wanted to gobble it up so fast as to enjoy it while it was still warm and make sure that it really was as good as the first bite.  I'm not really into marinara sauce but I had to dip it in and try it  This made the sandwich taste more like cheesy bread from a pizza place, if you're into that.  In a way it reminded me of the GC I loved in Providence at Farmstead.  The flavors dance on the tip of your tongue the whole time and it was just the right amount of cheese per bread ratio.
      
The homemade chips were incredible.  Real potato chips curled up had perhaps a hint of smokiness? Maybe BBQ?  Maybe not.  My mom came with me and raved, "Seriously, I've never cleared my plate of chips ever...seriously.  Great chips."
       
J. Gardella's has a low-key comfy loft feel with brick walls, a cool rust tin ceiling and some exposed duct work.  Dim lights and dark wood tables and chairs make you feel relaxed.  Maybe because of the huge snow dumped on west Michigan this week, it was pretty quiet with a few couples and some people sitting at the bar.  The candles were in mason jars filled with peanut shells, so DIY.  Music ranged from the Black Keys to Biggie and wasn't obnoxiously loud which I loved.  Overall, I will definitely be back.  I feel like this is a place that you don't have to be too cool to go to, I saw all kinds of people come in.
Score:◥◥◥◥ 1/2 
*Bonus: Michigan beer.  I got a HUMONGOUS mason jar of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale on draft. Mmm.  Also, even though I think $5.99 for this much food was maybe even underpriced, on Wednesday's they have 1/2 off food and drinks.  


0 comments:

Post a Comment