Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red Stripe

465 Angell Street
Providence, RI



Name: "Red Stripe" Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Prosciutto, poached pear, pesto (I don't have the kind of cheese written down...)
Sides: Roasted tomato soup or house frites
Price: $12 (plain grilled cheese also available for $9.50)
Thoughts: This sandwich is almost sweet, due to the pears.  I like the different taste combonation of pesto, fruit and prosciutto although I tend to not like meat on my grilled cheese (and isn't prosciutto like ham?)  It almost doesn't taste like a grilled cheese since there are so many different flavors in there.  However, I do like.  DANG!! I dipped it in the tomato soup and it tastes much better.  Nicely balanced and creamy.  I'd like to try the plain one as well.  I love Red Stripe, great atmosphere-romantic but not sleepy, awesome crusty bread with your meal, cute waiters, and extensive wine selection.  I guess this is why they charge $12 for a grilled cheese, but I guess if you got the soup separate it would probably cost more.  Welcome to the East side of Providence.  (Side note: the owner/staff are wonderfully caring.  Since I work across the street at Starbucks, they come in reguarly and have gotten to know them.  Every time I've been there with friends or family, we've been well taken care of.)  
Score: ◥◥◥
*Bonus: Thanks Rachael and Tim for coming along on this grilled cheese tour stop! They got the plain grilled cheese and tomato soup option while I went for the "Red Stripe" grilled cheese and frites.  It was nice to try all the possibilities.

1 comments:

Rachael said...

HAHAHA those pictures. i totally forgot. love it.

Post a Comment